Common Symptoms of Oral Cancer
To make sure your dental health is in great shape, our dentists keep up-to-date with new technology and procedures to detect early signs of oral cancer. Remember that even though the symptoms below are linked to oral cancer, it may be caused by other more minor dental issues. Call your dentist today to see whether your symptoms and screening eliminates the possibility of oral cancer.
- An abnormal lump, thickening tissue, or rough spots
- Any red or white sore that has a tendency to bleed easily or not heal completely
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in your oral cavity
- Any issues with moving the mouth and speaking
Best Practices to Prevent Oral Cancer
Even after you receive an oral cancer screening, there are a number of methods that will keep cancerous cells from forming in your oral cavity. If you are looking for ways to prevent oral cancer, you may consider following these practices below.
- Consume alcohol in moderation
- Maintain a well-balanced diet
- Limit excessive exposure to the sun
- Wear UV lotions on your skin as well as your lips
- Refrain from using all tobacco products
- Lastly, ask your dentist to perform an oral cancer screening during each visit